The CEOs of AB-Biotics, Miquel Àngel Bonachera and Sergi Audivert, have signed an agreement with the director of the National Institute of Agricultural and Food Technology and Research (INIA), Esther Esteban, to develop the characterization and selection process of probiotic strains. The objective of this agreement is for both parties to collaborate in research related to the characterization and study of strains with probiotic potential for possible future commercialization.
In the event that results are obtained that are subject to protection under this agreement, for a duration of two years and with the possibility of an extension for two more years, AB-Biotics will be responsible for patentability studies and patent preparation. Additionally, the company shall possess an exclusive worldwide license with rights to sub-license its patent-protected technologies.
INIA is an autonomous body affiliated with the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities, which can execute agreements for scientific research, development and innovation through the General Secretariat for the Coordination of Scientific Policy. Its Department of Food Technology carries out research related to the selection, characterization and application of microorganisms for food-related markets, among others. INIA owns some strains of Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium and Lactococcus, isolated and identified by the Department of Food Technology, whose probiotic potential may be of interest. Conversely, AB-Biotics also owns two strains of Lactobacillus and Lactococcus, with the same potential.
-Identify antimicrobial activity.
-Research the behaviour of the strains during the manufacture of yogurt in the presence of a commercial starter.
– Research the growth of strains in non-milk-based general edible medium (GEM).
– Study the production of acetate and lactate.
– Study antibiotic resistance using ISO 10932 method.
– Sequencing the entire genome of a limited number of candidate strains (between 1 and 4) with better performance in the previous points. Genome sequencing will be carried out by a biotechnology company. The bioinformatic analysis will be carried out using specific programs to analyse synergy and determine the presence of genes of interest, mainly those related to antibiotic resistance with updated databases.
– Study the scaling of industrial production and the stability of the resulting lyophilizate at a minimum of 12 months.